VANCOUVER, BC – September 11, 2013 – ActiveState®, whose software enables developers and enterprises to innovate from code to cloud, today announced the general availability of Komodo® 8.5, the new major release of their leading polyglot IDE.
Komodo 8.5 delivers productivity-enhancing features such as code refactoring, multiple selections, breadcrumbs file navigation, sorting and grouping of open files, as well as updates to the sleek UI introduced in Komodo 8.0. One such addition is a much-requested dark UI theme called Abyss. New language support includes Python symbol triggering and updates to PHP 5.5 code intelligence, debugging and code profiling. Komodo 8.5 also offers faster performance, thanks to updates to its underlying code base and more efficient process handling.
“As a multi-language IDE, Komodo is focused on increasing productivity,” says Todd Whiteman, Komodo Development Lead. “With Komodo 8.5, we’ve found the perfect balance between efficient UI design and programming-centric features such as refactoring, which save significant time when working on large projects.”
“Komodo 8.5 is a logical choice for developing on today’s cloud platforms,” notes Jeff Hobbs, ActiveState’s CTO & VP, Engineering. “Because of its multi-language capabilities, Komodo is well suited for developing a wide range of cloud-hosted applications. Many development teams are now using Komodo in conjunction with ActiveState’s Stackato® PaaS platform, as its integrated deployment and debugging within Stackato offers an additional gain in productivity.”
Key features of Komodo 8.5 include:
- Code refactoring: Increase code efficiency by renaming variables, renaming class members, and extracting methods
- Breadcrumbs file navigation: Easily access previous related files
- Multiple selections: Save time by making changes at one position and having them reflected in multiple selected positions
- Sort and group open files by various attributes: language, file extension, directory and location
- PHP 5.5 and Python support: New Xdebug module, keyword updates, and code intel for latest API data for PHP 5.5; symbol triggering for Python
- Faster performance with code intel out-of-process, faster search and syntax checking
- Updated code base: Mozilla 24, Python 2.7.5, Scintilla 3.34
- Sleek UI, with retina support and Abyss, a new native dark UI theme
To learn more about Komodo IDE and to download a free 21-day trial, please visit the official website at https://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide.
Komodo Edit, a free version that includes the editor but not the IDE features, is also available to download at https://www.activestate.com/komodo-edit.
ActiveState is offering promotional discounts on licenses of its development tools, including Komodo IDE 8.5, until September 30, 2013.
ActiveState empowers innovation from code to cloud smarter, safer, and faster. ActiveState’s cutting-edge solutions give developers and enterprises the power and flexibility to develop in Java, Ruby, Python, Perl, Node.js, PHP, Tcl, and more. Stackato is ActiveState’s groundbreaking enterprise private Platform as a Service (PaaS), and is the cost-effective, secure, and portable way to develop and deploy apps to the cloud. ActiveState is proven for the enterprise: More than two million developers and 97% of Fortune-1000 companies use ActiveState’s end-to-end solutions to develop, distribute, and manage their software applications. Global customers like Cisco, CA, HP, Bank of America, Siemens, and Lockheed Martin look to ActiveState to save time, save money, minimize risk, ensure compliance, and reduce time to market.
Michael Kanasoot, ActiveState