ActiveState and O’Reilly first launched the ActiveState code site in 2000 and O’Reilly published the first two Python Cookbooks in 2002 and 2005.
“Python is one of the fastest-growing open source object-oriented programming languages and is increasingly used by a number of major organizations including Google, Amazon and NASA” said Joe Wikert, General Manager and Publisher of O’Reilly Media. “We are thrilled with the enhancements to ActiveState Code and encourage developers to share their Python recipes on the site.”
“O’Reilly’s Python Cookbook is one of the most useful resources available because it shares real-world best practices from the Python development community,” said Trent Mick, product manager for Python and ActiveState Code. “We’re looking for the most innovative, most helpful Python recipes to include in the book. We encourage anybody involved in Python development to upload their recipes. The Python Cookbook offers developers an excellent opportunity to get their name out and contribute to the Python community.”
Based on feedback from the community, ActiveState and O’Reilly have built out many new enhancements to ActiveState Code. These enhancements help share more community insights, improve site usability and make accessing useful information easier.
More than 40 new upgrades have been implemented. Some of them include:
- Improved usability and identification by community trends – Users can search recipes by number of views, age of recipe and user votes to quickly identify the most popular ones.
- Easy social sharing – Users can share recipes with colleagues and friends through Digg, Twitter, Delicious, Facebook and other social networking and bookmarking sites.
- Improved tagging – Including the addition of structured tags (also known as machine tags) to allow contributors to be more precise in how they tag and make searching for specific recipes more effective.
- Look for ActiveState and O’Reilly at PyCon in Atlanta. ActiveState will be at booth #107
- Read about past editions of O’Reilly’s Python Cookbook: https://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596007973
- Join ActiveState on Twitter: @ActiveState
ActiveState, the dynamic languages company, is the world leader in enabling companies to develop, manage, and distribute applications with dynamic languages – from mission-critical applications to open source projects. ActiveState’s development tools, commercial-grade language distributions, commercial support, indemnification, and OEM solutions accelerate productivity, minimize risk, eliminate complexity, and ensure compliance with use and distribution of dynamic languages. With a focus on Perl, Python, Tcl and web languages, a strong community of 2 million developers and 97% of the Fortune 1000 rely on ActiveState, including technology, finance, aerospace, and government organizations such as Cisco, CA, Hewlett-Packard, Bank of America, Siemens, Lockheed Martin.
About O’Reilly Media
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.