The 2010 SD Times 100 is awarded to leaders and innovators in the software development industry that set industry agenda and advance the software development art. “The software development industry is led by innovative companies like ActiveState,” said Alan Zeichick, Editorial Director of BZ Media’s SD Times. “When choosing the 2010 SD Times 100, we carefully considered each organization’s products and services, reputation with software development managers, and the new ideas and thought leadership that it has brought to the industry. Thanks to companies like ActiveState, named to this year’s list, the art and science of software development continues to advance at a rapid pace.”
Highlights of ActiveState’s continued innovation in 2009 that contributed to the honor include:
- ActiveState has been a leader in the development community around dynamic languages such as Perl, Python and Tcl for years, and its Komodo IDE continues to gain widespread industry recognition. In 2009, the company released major upgrades and improvements to its Komodo IDE, ActivePerl, ActivePython and ActiveTcl distributions.
- The ActivePython project has been growing significantly and been widely accepted by the development community. One major improvement in 2009 was PyPM (the Python Package Manager) for installing, modifying and managing Python modules – saving developers time and development effort.
- ActiveState launched many improvements to Komodo IDE 5.2.1, improving support for Ruby and PHP, and improving code navigation.
- ActiveState released Perl Dev Kit (PDK) 8.0 – allowing developers to deploy to any platform with PerlApp cross-platform wrapping and improved code standardization with PerlCritic.
- ActiveState continues to work with large enterprises and government organizations, providing enterprise-grade support and indemnification for organizations using ActivePerl, ActivePython and ActiveTcl in mission-critical applications.
“We have worked hard over the past few years in promoting the value and benefits around dynamic languages with software developers, enterprises, and government organizations,” said Bart Copeland, President & CEO, ActiveState. “It is rewarding that our innovative products for enterprises and commitments to the open source community go recognized by a leading software development publication such as SD Times. We are honored to once again be included in the list.”
About SD Times 100
The SD Times 100 recognizes companies, non-commercial organizations, open source projects and other initiatives for their innovation and leadership. It is not a product award. Judged by the editors of SD Times, the SD Times 100 recognizes the top innovators and leaders in multiple software development industry areas.
ActiveState is the world leader in enabling companies to develop, manage, and distribute applications with dynamic languages. The company’s products and services for Perl, Python, Tcl and other web languages, are used by over 2 million developers and 97% of the Fortune 1000 to build and run applications from mission-critical to open source projects. ActiveState’s end-to-end solutions include development tools, language distributions, indemnification, OEM solutions, support and other services. With these, customers such as Cisco, CA, HP, Bank of America, Siemens, and Lockheed Martin are able to accelerate productivity, minimize risk, and ensure compliance.