The use of open source has gained the attention of large enterprises, whose IT departments have a large and growing commitment to open source products. Open source advantages include:
- Greater transparency: Source code and design deliberations are available for review, in contrast to the secretive processes of proprietary vendors. Assessment of the product and engagement with its community is available in order to determine if using the product is a good decision.
- Greater innovation: Using a product with a potentially much larger developer base enables access to greater innovation. In addition, by allowing anyone to contribute code, an open source product can incorporate unusual use cases, which might be otherwise ignored.
- Greater ability to affect product direction: With open source, direct interaction with developers is possible to present use cases, meaning code could be contributed that implements a desired functionality.
- Lower cost: Because open source is distributed under an expansive license, it is typically much more affordable than proprietary-licensed software, enabling organizations to focus their investment in areas more directly tied to business value.
- Better match for today’s enterprise IT requirements: Third Platform applications are more highly scaled and subject to much greater load variability. Open source licensing is more conducive to this highly changeable application environment as compared to proprietary software, which typically requires a high licensing fee for each server.
Bart Copeland, President and CEO, ActiveState, said:
“The nature of enterprise IT is rapidly evolving and open source is changing the game. Companies are quickly realizing that in order to succeed, they must empower themselves with the right processes, tools and culture. This is where open source is a major benefit. Once considered the domain of small businesses and start-ups, open source software offers greater transparency, innovation and opportunity to affect product direction. As this adoption increases, open source skills will become critically important, not just for using open source wisely but for attracting the talent necessary to compete in a Third Platform world.”
ActiveState believes that enterprises gain a competitive advantage when they are able to quickly create, deploy and efficiently manage software solutions that immediately create business value, but they face many challenges that prevent them from doing so. The Company is uniquely positioned to help address these challenges through our experience with enterprises, people and technology. ActiveState is proven for the enterprise: more than two million developers and 97 percent of Fortune 1000 companies use ActiveState’s solutions to develop, distribute, and manage their software applications written in Java, Perl, Python, Node.js, PHP, Tcl and other dynamic languages. Global customers like Cisco, CA, HP, Bank of America, Siemens and Lockheed Martin trust ActiveState to save time, save money, minimize risk, ensure compliance and reduce time to market. To learn more, visit ActiveState.com.
Nadel Phelan, Inc.
ActiveState Software Inc.