How to use the ActiveState Platform to create an artifact repository
This video provides a quick overview of how the ActiveState Platform can be used to create an artifact repository for your Python project.
To create your own runtime environment, featuring up-to-date, secure packages and their fully resolved dependencies you can start by creating a free ActiveState Platform account.
What is the ActiveState Artifact Repository?
- Like all artifact repositories, the ActiveState Artifact Repository provides the ability to store “built” software and make it available for use by other systems, processes or end users.
- Unlike other artifact repositories, the ActiveState Artifact Repository includes the ability to automatically build Python v3.8+ packages securely from source code (including linked C libraries) using our cloud-based, multi-OS, secure build service.
You can use the ActiveState Artifact Repository to:
- Ensure the security and integrity of the Python dependencies your developers work with.
- Eliminate the overhead of creating and maintaining multiple build environments, one for each OS your Windows, Mac and Linux developers work with.
- Eliminate the need to periodically audit internal build systems for compromise by utilizing a secure, cloud-based build service.
- Track and notify users when vulnerabilities are discovered, and also automatically build the new dependency version(s) that resolve the vulnerability.
All artifacts in the ActiveState Artifact Repository are created as standard Python wheels, which means your team can install them using Python’s default package manager, pip, just as if they were installing from a far more secure version of PyPI.
Note: The ActiveState Artifact Repository is currently only available for Python 3.8 or later and Enterprise users of the ActiveState Platform. If you would like to test it out, please Contact Sales.
Watch Next: How To Use The ActiveState Platform For Generating SBOMs (Software Bill Of Materials)
At ActiveState, we use the Platform to build not only our popular open source language distributions, but also custom runtimes for our enterprise clients (i.e. builds containing just the language and packages their project requires). Try it out yourself or get a personalized demo and understand how it can support your enterprise’s open source needs.
To read the blog based on this video ‘Python Artifact Repositories’, head here.
New to the ActiveState Platform? Here’s how to get started, once you’ve created your free account.
Use our Platform to build a custom environment for your next project, including just the language and packages your project needs.
- Choose a language (Python, Perl or Tcl right now)
- Select your operating system (Linux or Windows, plus Mac for Python)
- Add the packages your project requires
ActiveState regularly pulls packages from each language’s standard open source repository (CPAN, PyPI, etc) to ensure that your open source language and components are up to date, can be compiled from source, and are then verified to work together in a distribution that is packaged for most major operating systems. Go ahead and try our beta today! We are hanging out at our Community Forum to provide support as you explore.
Individual users can get started with the ActiveState Platform for free. For use by organizations or teams of individuals, explore our paid plans.