Perl Modules with ActivePerl and PPM
UPDATE 2021: PPM has been removed from ActivePerl 5.28, and will no longer build many packages for previous versions of ActivePerl. To address these shortcomings, ActiveState has introduced the ActiveState Platform, which provides a whole new way to build and deploy modules starting with Perl 5.32. Interested? Let us show you how it works.
ActiveState Perl offers automated dependency management, distributed parallel cloud builds of dependencies from source, team collaboration tools, and a versatile CLI (our State Tool) —all without the need for build engineering or Windows and Linux expertise.
With ActiveState Perl, Perl developers get access to:
- Security-first Perl package management functionality
- A unified, cloud-based toolchain for Linux and Windows
- Virtual Perl environments for isolated working directories
- Pure Open Source licensing: cpan modules you install have just their original licensing
Try out ActiveState Perl 5.32 by Installing via the following command (Command Prompt / Command Line)
Save time and make solid design decisions by searching and reviewing details of Perl packages (Perl modules) instantly with PPM Index.
PPM Index allows you to easily search the ActivePerl package repository of almost 15,000 Perl modules. Search by name, author, or keywords in the description. Browse through popular modules and sort them by name, release date or popularity.
When you find the module you’re looking for, PPM Index gives you:
- package availability by platform, OS, and Perl version
- links to documentation
- RSS feeds for build status
Additional Benefits of PPM Index
- View the most popular and recent additions to the repository
- Understand module dependencies and release availability with ease
- Deploy the right version of Perl packages/modules for your operating system
- Share information about your favorite modules with your colleagues via Twitter
- View timely, targeted information from the new and improved repository interface
Perl Modules* Pre-Compiled with ActivePerl
Save time from having to compile your own Perl modules, by using ActivePerl, complete with thousands of modules already pre-compiled for you. Here are some of the popular modules included with the ActivePerl core:
- DBD::ODBC, DBD::Oracle
- Net::FTP, Net::Telnet
- XML::Parser, HTML::Parser
- Algorithm::Diff, Text::Diff
Download ActivePerl Community Edition to get started.
Perl Modules* with ActivePerl PPM (Perl Package Manager)
ActivePerl offers significant time savings over open source Perl for installing, removing, upgrading, and managing Perl modules, using PPM (Perl Package Manager). In addition to the modules already bundled with ActivePerl, there are thousands more Perl modules that can be installed from PPM – the ActivePerl online repository of compiled CPAN distributions.
Here is a sample of some of the most popular modules accessed through PPM:
- Parsers: Parse-RecDescent
Email-Simple, MailTools, MIME-tools, MIME-Types
Moose, List-MoreUtils, IO-stringy, Try-Tiny
Crypt-DES, Crypt-Blowfish, Crypt-DSA