Last Updated: May 27, 2019
Open Source Language Automation Primer: Industry Mega-Trends
“Polyglot is killing the enterprise. There is a void in the open source ecosystem when it comes to languages. And keeping open source language builds up to date at scale is virtually impossible.”
– Bart Copeland, CEO, ActiveState
ActiveState has defined Open Source Language Automation to help companies address the pain points of polyglot environments. We’ve crafted this four-part series to provide foundational knowledge for implementing Open Source Language Automation.
In part two of the series, ActiveState shares the eight key industry mega-trends it has observed in the advent of Open Source Language Automation.
- Innovation is driven by open source, but its proliferation creates code management challenges.
- The power shift to developers in the enterprise creates language/tech stack variants.
- Data and the desire for analytics are exploding in the enterprise.
- Multi and hybrid cloud strategies are driving a three-fold proliferation of tech stacks, management variants and challenges.
- The rate of change in design standards produces more enterprise cloud management complexity.
- Enterprise CEOs and executives are driving digital transformation to keep pace with and lead in their markets.
- Smart data privacy & security policies necessitate an understanding of what’s in the code.
- Agile development and DevOps are accelerating, which drives complexity in the management of tech stacks and reduces runtime application quality.