“Our society’s reliance on mobile devices has led to the proliferation of mobile apps–both enterprise and personal,” said Tom Radcliffe, Director of Engineering at ActiveState. “As a result, it has become increasingly important for enterprises to provide their developers with the tools to create not just programs, but mobile apps to help run their businesses and processes. By having tighter integration with mobile build systems such as Cordova and PhoneGap, and build systems for the web, Grunt and Gulp, developers can now run specific tasks with the click of a button instead of switching between an IDE and running something in their terminal.”
In addition, Komodo 10 reduces context switching for developers through its new Chrome remote debugging functionality, and improved user experience for version control and unit testing. Programmers can stay “in the zone”, and won’t have to switch between their IDE and their browser or terminal anymore.
“Developers want to have a unified programming experience. Context switching breaks the developer’s flow and makes them less productive,” said Nathan Rijksen, Lead Developer of Komodo. “With this release we really wanted to give mobile and web developers a seamless experience so they don’t have to deal with the hassle of going back and forth between two (or more) different systems when working on a project. Developers just want to code without distractions, and Komodo 10 reduces these distractions. Komodo 10 is the best IDE for web and mobile app developers to experience their favourite frameworks, languages and tools.”
In addition to its enhanced functionality for mobile and web developers, Komodo 10 also includes a variety of features for the new programmer or those new to Komodo:
- First start wizard: This wizard will allow developers to configure Komodo from a high level to fit their most basic needs, although you may change your configuration at any time as your coding habits evolve.
- Alternative key-binding schemes: Komodo includes keybinding sets that are identical to other popular IDEs and editors, so that people coming from a competing product can continue to use the keybindings they’re already familiar with, helping new users transition to Komodo seamlessly. Default keybindings have also been overhauled (but don’t worry, you can still access the “legacy” Komodo ones if that is what you’re used to!)
- Improved UI/UX: Improved user experience makes features and functionality obvious without needing a big learning curve or documentation for reference.
- Performance improvements: File opening/closing and start up are just some of the areas that have received significant performance improvements that provides a faster, and better, user experience.
- Symbol Browser: The section scope (inside Commando) now allows browsing symbols across entire projects, allowing an easy jump to classes, functions, properties, or other symbols no matter where they are within the project.
- UI customizations: Improvements to the color scheme picker and editor, in addition to the availability “classic mode” so users can experience Komodo as in prior versions.
A full list of Komodo IDE 10 features is available here:
Download a free 21-day trial of Komodo IDE 10 for Windows, Mac and Linux immediately:
About Komodo IDE
ActiveState believes that enterprises gain a competitive advantage when they are able to quickly create, deploy and efficiently manage software solutions that immediately create business value, but they face many challenges that prevent them from doing so. The company is uniquely positioned to help address these challenges through our experience with enterprises, people, and technology. ActiveState is proven for the enterprise: more than two million developers and 97 percent of Fortune 1000 companies use ActiveState’s end-to-end solutions to develop, distribute, and manage their software applications written in Java, Perl, Python, Node.js, PHP, Tcl and other dynamic languages. Global customers like Cisco, CA, HP, Bank of America, Siemens and Lockheed Martin trust ActiveState to save time, save money, minimize risk, ensure compliance and reduce time to market. To learn more visit, ActiveState.com.
Jesse Casman for ActiveState