Replace the Readme
Automate Your Development Workflows with the State Tool
The State Tool lets you reclaim coding time by automating all the one-off tasks that suck the joy out of life with a standard repeatable solution. Have to write yet another Makefile script? Need to rebuild an environment for an old project? Feeling guilty for sharing creds via Slack? The State Tool can help with all of that without the need for virtual machines or additional language dependencies.
- Run Scripts – cross-platform; any language
- Handle Events – build, update & deploy environments
- Manage Secrets – simply but securely
Run Cross-Platform Scripts
All you need is the State Tool, we’ll take care of the rest.
If your team works on multiple OS’s, you know the pain of trying to get your scripts to run on everyone’s system. The State Tool handles all the language dependencies so you can write Perl and Python scripts (more languages coming) that run on any platform, including Windows, Linux and soon Mac.
Scripts that run tests, create builds – all the scripts you need to get your day to day work done – should just work. But the reality is that scripts get modified, docs don’t get updated, and team members waste time fixing them. The State Tool lets you centrally write scripts the way you always have – with support for secrets, constants, etc – but guarantees that if the script runs anywhere, it’ll run everywhere.
Automated Event Handling
Set up environments with a single command! One command pulls down your runtime environment from the ActiveState Platform and installs it into a virtual environment on your workstation in a standard, reproducible manner. Curb the cowboys, aid the clueless and say goodbye to “works on my machine” issues.
The State Tool will soon also automate workflow logic in response to other events, such as file changes, package updates and more.
Securely Manage Secrets
Tired of jumping through the hoops of your corporate solution just to share creds securely? Github flagging API Key secrets in your code? Guilty about sharing passwords over Slack?
The State Tool lets you painlessly:
- Create and encrypt secrets client-side with a single command
- Share secrets securely among team members as easily as via chat or email
- Incorporate secrets in your scripts just by referencing their names
Work Better Together
Onboard faster, automate easier, and share the benefits.
To paraphrase an idiom: “If you have to do it for more than two team members, automate it.” That includes:
- Environment setup in a consistent, reproducible way so you get less “works on my machine” issues
- Script and secret sharing in a painless yet secure way
- Handling common events in a consistent and reliable manner, regardless of platform