State Tool – ActiveState’s Package Manager
The State Tool is the command line interface (CLI) for the ActiveState Platform. It lets you manage your Python and Perl projects right from the command prompt. You can work on your projects and environments, all with a single tool that supports Python and Perl on Windows and Linux!
- Create new runtime environments for your projects
- Add, remove, update and otherwise manage the packages and dependencies in your environments
- Automatically create virtual environments for each of your projects on your local Windows, Linux or Mac machine
powershell -Command "& $([scriptblock]::Create((New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://platform.activestate.com/dl/cli/w19880w01/install.ps1')))"
sh <(curl -q https://platform.activestate.com/dl/cli/w19880l01/install.sh)
sh <(curl -q https://platform.activestate.com/dl/cli/w19880m01/install.sh)
Replace the ‘Read Me’.
Tired of building development environments from outdated READMEs? Automate your development workflows with the State Tool.
The State Tool lets you reclaim coding time by automating all the one-off tasks that suck the joy out of life with a standard repeatable solution.
- Run scripts – Cross-platform, any language
- Handle events – Painless environment setup
- Manage secrets – Easily yet securely
Automated Event Handling
Set up your environment with a single command.
One command pulls down your runtime environment from the ActiveState Platform, as well as your code from GitHub and sets up your development environment in just a few minutes. It’s the quickest, simplest way to get all team members up and running on your project. The State Tool will soon also automate workflow logic in response to other events, such as:
- File Changes
- Package Updates
- And more …
Learn More: Event Handling Documentation
Work Better Together
Onboard faster, automate easier, and share the benefits.
To paraphrase an idiom: “If you have to do it for more than two team members, automate it.” That includes:
- Environment setup for the whole team in a consistent, reproducible way so you get less “works on my machine” issues
- Vulnerability notifications to ensure the team is working securely
- Script and secret sharing in a painless yet secure way
- Handling common events in a consistent and reliable manner, regardless of platform
Run Cross-Platform Scripts
All you need is the State Tool, we’ll take care of the rest.
Scripts that your entire team can run, no matter their OS. Don’t worry about language dependencies, we’ll take care of that!
- Tired of Managing scripts with Makefiles? Replace your Makefiles with a reliable, cross-platform, scalable solution.
- Using sensitive values in your scripts? We’ve got you covered with built-in secret management.
Learn More: Scripts Documentation
Securely Manage Secrets
Create, share & manage sensitive values – API keys, credentials, etc.
Managing your secrets with the State Tool is simple, straightforward and painless. Secrets are encrypted client-side, so no one but you or your team members can ever read their true values.
- Jumping through hoops just to share db creds securely? Create and encrypt secrets with a single command.
- Sharing username/passwords insecurely over Slack or email? Incorporate secrets in your scripts just by referencing their names.
Learn More: Secrets Documentation
powershell -Command "& $([scriptblock]::Create((New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://platform.activestate.com/dl/cli/w19884w01/install.ps1')))"
sh <(curl -q https://platform.activestate.com/dl/cli/w19884l01/install.sh)
sh <(curl -q https://platform.activestate.com/dl/cli/w19884m01/install.sh)
Ready to see how the ActiveState Platform and the State Tool could help your dev team be more productive?
Please provide your information, and our Sales Team will be in touch shortly. Students and developers can sign up for a free account instead.